Monday, September 29, 2014

SQL Syntax Formatter


Other than that, my database has to be compatible to all kind of SQL version including Azure. So I have no choice to make this square brackets as my standard code.



Of course you have choices!


My choice is to keep the code readable and free from noise, and when a new version of SQL Server introduces a new reserved keyword that clashes with an identifier I have, I take the hit in this case. After all, as long as your code is all stored procedures with no or a limited amount of dynamic SQL, finding these issues is a matter of rebuilding the database and track the compilation errors.


Microsoft are very conservative with adding new reserved keywords, a little too conservative in my opinion. For instance, SQL 2012 introduced the THROW statement, but they did not make THROW a reserved keyword and this introduced some funky behaviour.


SQL 2005 introduced a number of new reserved keywords. But since SQL 2008 and on, the only new reserved keyword I can recall is MERGE, but I may have overlooked one or two.





Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

No comments:

Post a Comment